According to Harvard Health, it is estimated that a 155 lb person burns around 167 calories per 30 minutes of walking at a moderate pace. Walking is low-impact and is easy on your joints.
Are you looking for a way to lower your risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. What about lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, with a chance for a sharper memory. Walking may be just the thing.
But if you don’t have the time to go out for an hour or two, here are some suggestions as to how you can get in a bit more time on your feet every day. It has been said that regular activity during the day is as necessary as just one workout each day.
Here are 49 best tips for getting in more steps each day. They are easy, convenient, ways to start exercising, which requires nothing more than a good pair of walking shoes.
How To Get in More Steps at Home
- Walk around the kitchen while drinking your morning coffee
- Have a brief walking morning meditation. This is a fantastic choice if you have a quiet place to go outdoors.
- Do home cooking. Your steps add up quickly.
- Before a meal, take a brief walk to give you a healthy appetite.
- A brief walk after a meal will help with digestion and healthy blood sugar levels.
- Take a walk during TV commercial breaks.
Did you think of These Tips for Getting in More Steps Each Day?
- Plug your phone at the other side of the house or room to force you to get up to check emails, messages, and phone calls.
- Do yard and garden work
- Do NEAT housework to burn more calories: cleaning, mopping, and vacuuming.
- Going the stairs is a good glute workout.
- Carry the groceries from the car, one bag at a time to get more steps.
- Drink more water to give you extra trips to the loo.
Start a Walking Challenge with Your Work Buddies.
- Start a challenge at work.
- Plan walking meetings.
- Go directly to a colleague’s desk instead of emailing them.
- You can walk while on the phone or find other ways of multitasking.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Go the long way around to the washroom.
- Take a walking break during lunch time and breaks.
- Get a treadmill desk.
- Get an under the desk elliptical machine.
- Walk to work or get off the bus one stop early to get in extra steps.
Tips for Getting in More Steps While You are Out
- When at the airport, walk some laps around the terminal or baggage carousel while waiting.
- Walk dogs at an animal shelter.
- Walk to the grocery store and only buy what you can carry home.
- Use a grocery basket instead of a grocery cart to get added benefit of carrying the extra weight.
- Some malls are open early for mall walking. Take advantage of this.
- Park in one destination and walk to do errands.
- Go sightseeing on foot.
- Go golfing, and don’t use the cart!
- Park farther from your destination to get in extra steps.
Moving your body with exercise, doesn’t just decrease your risk of chronic disease, it can boost your immunity as well. Recent research consistently shows that it does not require long periods of intense workouts. Regular exercise throughout the day counts toward overall results.
- Create an obstacle course to add steps for the whole family.
- Stop every-so-often on a hike and do jumping jacks.
- Take a nature walk and collect things to put in your pocket. Play 20 questions to have kids try to figure out what it is.
- Go to museums. There is lots of walking to do as you explore a museum.
- Hike through urban parks and hide painted rocks.
- Go bird-watching.
- Spice up your walk by challenging kids to run, hop, skip, and jump.
- Sign up for a 5K walking event.
- Use a walking app to stay accountable.
- Play I Spy with the kids to keep them interested on their walk.
- Check out walking workout videos like Leslie Sansone.
- Fitness trackers are the best for tracking every step you take.
- Play with the kids. Baseball, tag, hide and seek, kickball, and soccer are games children love. Busy children are happy children.
- Become environmentally conscious by carrying a bag and clean up your environment as you walk.
- Walk your dog.
- Try pole walking.
- Try Geocaching, an outdoor grownup version of the world’s largest treasure hunt.
- Create a holiday tradition of an after-dinner walk, observing everything along the way.
Getting in regular exercise is necessary to stay healthy. It is great to work out and build muscles and endurance, but it is also important to be active throughout the day as well.
Please Leave a Comment
Can you think of more than 49 best tips for getting in more steps each day. I would love to hear all the suggestions you have.
Disclaimer: If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with physician or other healthcare professional. No content on this site should be substituted for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare practitioner. The information contained here is for informational purposes only. It is from my research and personal experience.